Maybe, one day, I’ll get so comfortable with the process that perfectly arranging of all the variables will become second nature to me, however, today is not that day; each application is different, and I’m still getting a feel for perfecting the technique.
Take this fermata design, for example:
Ok, I can’t really take credit for thinking this one up, but I did pick the font and the color scheme. It was one of the first designs I decided to use. (musical humor is my favorite. Yep.. I’m a total nerd.) Still… Perfect for baby clothes and undeniably cute, yes? And, at first glance, very simple. However, it took three attempts to get it to look like I wanted it to.
Here’s my first attempt:
Meh.. sure, it’s alright.. but the lettering is free-hand and kind of sloppy looking and the fermata is uneven. All in all, it bugged me. So I redrew it.
Here’s my second attempt:
Better….. but I, being the perfectionist that I am, was unsatisfied with this one too. Basically, I over-applied the paint. Working with fabric is slightly more challenging than paper; fabric has a little bit of a grain or ribbing and encourages the paint to spread a little:
Also, I used a brush and that applies quite a lot of paint. And, if you’re not careful, the moisture from the paint will cause the stencil to curl a little which often will cause the lines to become less crisp, or spread. So, I decided to try yet again.
This time I used a sponge for the paint instead of a brush. Turns out, the sponge is a better application when working with text; it’s easier to get crisper edges. And, for this font – with the stark contrast of black against the white, crisp edges are what is wanted. So, the second time around, the sponge it was and I was much more satisfied with the results:
Then, as a final finisher (and because it’s funny) I put an artsy bass clef on the bottom:
Satisfaction at last!