Summer is in full swing! We’ve got fireworks coming next week and I’ve got some family coming into town for a cookout. It’s a lovely season!
Another of my favorite seasons is Christmas. However, I also like to spread out my gift purchases over the year to give my wallet a break. So, this July, I’m sharing my love of summer and Christmas and I’m having a sale in my DazzlingDoOvers Etsy shop.
I’ve pulled out several holiday items and everything in my shop is 15% off! Just enter this coupon code at checkout: CHRISTMAS15
So, I’ve been doing my shirt-painting for quite a while now. Typically I use it to embellish baby clothes, but recently I discovered that it’s really great for giving any old shirt a second life!
The other week, I was wearing my favorite purple shirt while playing with bleach (really silly of me, I know).. and, as expected, some bleach jumped out of the container and introduced itself to my lovely purple shirt.
I was very sad and thinking that I might have to toss this shirt that I love so much. However, I decided to expand my shirt-painting uses and see if the paint would cover a bleach stain. I had a new design that would be perfect for a lower corner placement and it would cover a good amount of space, so I gave it a whirl…
And voila! the shirt was as good as new! And, as an added side bonus, I can now wear one of my own designs (which, when painting predominantly baby clothes, was difficult to do before).
For a while now, I’ve been considering branching out from printing on just baby clothes and adding car seat canopies.
That’s a nice thought, but it’s been a while in coming (mostly because my sewing skills are not much to speak of). However, I can generally manage to sew in a mostly straight line and, thanks to this online tutorial, I was feeling confident enough that I decided to go ahead and give it a whirl.
With any project, my initial step is always to conceptualize what end product I want. The canopy should be unique; different from all the others available out there, so I spent a good amount of time thinking about how to do that.
Of course, the two sides of the canopy (top and bottom) should have differing patterns, and then, to stay consistent with my shop theme, there needed to be some handprinted design somewhere.
Just for giggles, I tie-dyed some fabric for the top with some light red and pinks. This was the initial inspiration for the “Pink Elephants on Parade” idea. And lastly, to add an extra special element, I decided to make the inside a patchwork of reclaimed and upcycled fabric. This will go on the inside of the canopy to give the baby something interesting to look at!
The patchwork portion is complete, and last night I finished printing the Pink Elephants!